Monday, May 18, 2009

Mt. Currie


Mt. Currie is the Matterhorn of Pemberton. With the recent closure of the Pembi Heli Ops. I was forced to earn my first decent. Our team was led by locos Joe Lax, Dave B. and John Johnson, all very experienced and skilled riders.


We departed at 5 AM, and I was having a beer on top of one of the Pencil couloirs by noon.


The snow was awesome in the 1800 ft couloir, and slowly warmed as we descended the remaining 4000 ft. through gladed pillows and eventually into alders and avalanche debris.




I had previously attempted to ski Currie 3 other times but was shut down by wind, weather, and work.

This day went down as a highlight of my ski career – along with many others this season.


Joe Lax posted the story on the interweb as well, check out his version http://modestbike.com/studio/?p=136#more-136